How To Get Involved
Signing Up To Be A Mentor:
- Orientation (optional) – We would love to grab coffee or lunch and explain Merge in more depth. You can learn more details and have your questions answered all in an hour or so!
- Volunteer paperwork (required) – This can be downloaded by clicking here and is required of all of our volunteers. We will then do the background checks, driving check, and three reference checks…all because we love kids!
- Interview (required) – This 90 minute interview allows YFC and BBBS the opportunity to get to know you better so that we can best match you up with the right young person.
- Training (required) – This 4.5 hour equipping time is designed to help you be the best Christian mentor you can be. They are only offered every few months so getting registered for the next one is important. You can do this simply by emailing Scott McCloughan at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 269.388.3888 ext.13.
- Age – Our preference is that our mentors are at least 22 years of age. It is possible, however, with strong recommendations, that a college student be considered to serve as a mentor.
- Driving – All mentors must have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and standard car insurance, and must provide YFC with proof of insurance.
- Spiritual – All Merge mentors do need to be growing Christians. We know that no one is perfect (outside of Christ) and we certainly don’t expect our mentors to be without error. We do ask, however, that each mentor is daily seeking Christ, is plugged into a local church, and is regularly spending time in the Bible and in prayer.
How to get more info and/or get started
- You can call or email Scott McCloughan to set up an orientation so you can learn more…or
- If you know you want to serve as a mentor, you can download the volunteer paperwork, fill it out, turn it in and get signed up for the next training!
Signing Up To Be A Mentee:
- You can get started simply by emailing Scott McCloughan at email@example.com or calling 269.388.3888 ext.13 to express your interest in signing up to get a mentor.
- Interview – This 90 minute interview is done with the student and a guardian so that YFC and BBBS have a chance to get to know you better. This will allow us to find the best mentor possible for each young person.
- Paperwork – This will just take a few minutes and is done at the student/parent interview.
- Timeline – Unfortunately, there is a waiting list for young people who want to have a mentor. It is our hope that we can find you a mentor as soon as possible, but there will likely be anywhere from a month to a year before this may happen. This is the case because we want to find the right mentor for each young person rather than just the first one that is available.
- Age – YFC is a ministry to 11-19 year olds. If you are younger than 11, we look forward to working with you once you are old enough!
- Spiritual – There are no spiritual requirements for students. We are glad to encourage any young person regardless of their current beliefs. It is important for you to know, however, that all of our mentors are Christians.
Signing Up To Be A Prayer Partner:
- What we commit to – As a prayer partner, you will receive an initial packet that provides a picture of the mentor and mentee you will be praying for as well as some ways that you can be praying. After that, you will receive monthly updates on how the match is going, what praises there are to report and some current ways that you can be praying. In addition, you will be invited to the annual Merge Celebration Banquet where you will be able to actually spend time with your respective mentee/mentor match.
- What you commit to – We ask that you would commit to pray at least once a week and we would love it if you decide to pray daily!
- How to get signed up – This can be done by emailing Scott McCloughan at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 269.388.3888 ext.13 to express your interest and share your contact information with us.